Thursday, September 18, 2014

Metacognitive Blog: And Then There Were None

From my first draft to my final copy I changed the commentary the most. I probably need to work on that the most too. I wrote my essay then had to read through it again and add the commentary I need. I understand that commentary explains the detail, but I don't really understand how to put it in an essay and have it still flow. I had to add and change my commentary, therefor I had to make sure my essay made sense and flowed correctly. The form of support that helped me the most was sharing my essay with a parent. That  helped me a lot, because my parents didn't know what the book was about and they didn't read it. They helped me add more description and make sure it made sense. Having a peer look over mine helped, but they read the book so they knew what was going on and could infer if I didn't explain something enough. The written feed back on my timed writing helped me a lot with that essay, but I think that it was kind of hard to use it in this essay, because they were different. I think that maybe if you looked at my essay or some of it, then that would help me. I would know a little more of what you wanted my essay to be like. I think that would help at least until I felt more comfortable with writing essays. 

1 comment:

  1. You're not alone in needing to work on commentary! :) We will ALL work on that this year. I think maybe some more models of essays and commentary will be helpful, too. I'm glad to hear that your parents were helpful. I used to always have my dad read my writing before I felt comfortable turning it in. Also, I do know that applying feedback from one essay to another is extremely difficult, but I hope that with practice it will become easier. In regards to having me read your ATTWN essay, I will, and then I will give you feedback, and I NEVER consider a piece of writing to be finished until *you* do (quarter grade deadline permitting ;) ). After seeing my feedback on your ATTWN, just let me know if you'd like to revise it!

    ReplyDelete